Pickle rolls are slices of ham coated with ranch-style cream cheese, rolled in dill pickles, and cut into bite-sized pieces. We also call this ‘Minnesota sushi’. Smile, we love this one.
This simple appetizer is perfect for those cutting back on carbs because it doesn’t involve tortillas. But even if you’re cutting back on carbs, you can still make these for a quick and tasty snack. Adding a homemade dry ranch dressing will also add extra flavor.
Ingredients for Pickle Rolls
This recipe requires only four ingredients and can be made quickly for yourself or your guests.
The word kimchi probably comes from the Dutch word “pekel,” which means brine. However, this recipe does not require you to make your own pickles. Just buy a whole jar of dill pickles and you’ll have an easy appetizer. Be sure to drain the pickles on paper towels before placing them on top of the cream cheese.
This will ensure that the pickle stays in place.
Deli ham : If you buy ham from your local deli, ask them to slice it thinly. Alternatively, you can purchase packaged ham (luncheon meat) that is already sliced. The flavor of the ham can be tailored to your taste. Be sure to dry the ham slices before applying the cream cheese (just like you would with sauerkraut). This will help the cream cheese stick to the ham.
Cream Cheese : It is best to use room temperature cream cheese. The trick to bringing cold cream cheese back to room temperature quickly is to fill a metal dish with hot water and dip the contents of the foil packet into the hot water : after 5-10 minutes, the cream cheese will be room temperature. Alternatively, you can remove the cream cheese block from the package, cut it into smaller pieces and let it come to room temperature.
Dry ranch dressing : Ranch dressing is enough to add ranch flavor to the burrito. If you don’t have a package at home, you can make your own!
How to store kimchi rolls
Place the kimchi rolls on a plate or dish, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Pickle Roll Ups
Prep Time : 10 mins
Total Time : 10 mins
Kimchi rolls are slices of ham coated with ranch-style cream cheese, rolled in dill pickles, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Also known as “Minnesota Sushi”.
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch seasoning
- 16 ounces dill pickles, whole with ends trimmed
- ½ pound deli ham, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and the ranch seasoning.
- Set the ham out in a single layer. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the slices of ham. Make sure to spread the mixture all the way out to the edges of the ham slices.
- Cut the ends off each pickle. Pat the pickles dry with a paper towel and set them on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Tightly roll each pickle up in the ham. Use toothpicks to hold them closed if needed.
- Cut the ham rolls into ¾-inch pieces. Place the pieces on a large plate or platter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Course : Appetizer, Snack
- Keyword : Pickle Roll Ups
- Servings : 30 roll ups
- Calories : 34