According to Health Ambition, manganese is essential for healthy, strong bones. It is also key to absorption of other vitamins, including vitamins B and C, necessary for promoting brain health and protecting against cancer, respectively.
Livestrong warns of the signs and symptoms of a manganese deficiency. Weakness, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness are all symptoms of manganese deficiency, as well as hearing loss and weak hair and nails. In the most extreme of cases, manganese deficiency can result in paralysis, blindness, infertility, and seizures.
How to avoid manganese deficiency
To avoid the dangers of manganese deficiency, eat a diet of manganese-rich foods.
1. Seafood. Mussels, clams, and crayfish are just a few of the many types of seafood rich in manganese. Seafood is also a healthy source of B-vitamins, omega 3s, and essential amino acids.
2. Nuts and seeds. Hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, and macadamia nuts are among the highest sources of manganese. Nuts are also fibrous, rich in vitamin E, copper, and magnesium.
3. Spinach. Dark green leafy vegetables are some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Just 1 cup of spinach has more than 2 times the daily recommended value of vitamin A and more than 6 times that of vitamin K.
4. Whole grains. There are many benefits of including whole grains in your diet, in addition to a healthy dose of manganese.
Brown rice, oatmeal, bulgar, quinoa, and millet reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer.
5. Tofu and tempeh. These typical vegetarian meat-substitutes are healthier than you may think. In addition to manganese, tofu is a great source of calcium, copper, iron, and omega 3s.
6. Lima beans. Chickpeas, white beans, black-eyed beans, and kidney beans, in addition to lima beans, are all essential to good health. Beans are high in fiber, vitamin C, and magnesium.
7. Black tea. One of the easiest ways to get enough manganese in your diet is to simply enjoy a daily cup of tea. Black tea also has the advantage of being beneficial to the heart and bones.