I have a confession to make. While I adore the warm, comforting embrace of pumpkin in various culinary delights, traditional pumpkin pie has never truly captured my heart. However, fear not, for I’ve discovered a delightful twist that combines the essence of pumpkin with a tantalizing, velvety filling that’s bound to make any Thanksgiving table a little cozier. I present to you the Autumn Delight Cream Pie. This creamy, dreamy creation is a symphony of flavors and textures that will have you rethinking your dessert choices this holiday season.
Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 packages of graham crackers (approximately 15 cookie sheets)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick of butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 box (3 oz. box) of vanilla pudding (the cook and serve variety)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons of whiskey (optional)
- 1/2 cup (plus 3 tablespoons) pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Extra graham cracker crumbs for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 300˚F.
- Begin with the crust. Grind the graham crackers in a food processor. If you don’t have one, place the crackers in a large zip-up bag and give them a good pounding with a rolling pin. Add the powdered sugar and the melted butter, and process until the mixture is perfectly combined.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom and sides of a pie pan, creating a nice, firm base. Bake this beauty for 8 to 10 minutes, or until it’s warm and “set.” Once it’s done, take it out of the oven and let the crust cool completely.
- For the filling, mix the dry pudding mix with the half-and-half and 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Over medium heat, bring this mixture to a boil while stirring constantly. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s bubbly and has thickened.
- Remove the filling from the heat and, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, stir in the whiskey. Then, add the pumpkin and stir to combine. Put a lid on the pot and let it cool. Once it’s cool enough, pop it in the fridge to chill completely.
- When the filling is delightfully chilled, transfer it to a mixing bowl and add the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream and the brown sugar. Beat this mixture until it becomes wonderfully light and fluffy. Now, fold in the pumpkin cream blend until everything is harmoniously combined. Finally, pour this luscious creation into the cooled crust.
- Cover your masterpiece and allow it to chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or even overnight. When you’re ready to serve, sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs on top for that extra touch of charm.
With the Autumn Delight Cream Pie, I’ve found a way to savor the essence of pumpkin in a whole new light. This delectable dessert, marrying creamy textures and warming spices, is sure to become the star of your Thanksgiving spread. So, don’t be surprised if this year you find yourself reaching for seconds and thirds, while traditional pumpkin pie quietly takes a backseat. Enjoy the warmth and comfort of the season with every luscious bite of this unique creation.
image source : magnolia days