YIELDS: 4 serving(s)
PREP TIME: 15 mins
TOTAL TIME: 3 hrs 45 mins
FOR THE CORNED BEEF:
- 1 package corned beef brisket (3 to 4 lbs.)
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 c. thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/3 c. mustard
- 8 slices marbled rye sandwich bread
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, optional
- Dill pickle spears and potato chips, for serving
- For the corned beef: Preheat the oven to 325°. Unwrap the corned beef brisket and place it fat side up on a rack placed in a roasting pan. If a seasoning packet is included, rub the fat with the spices. Pour 1 cup of water in the side of the pan, and cover it tightly with aluminum foil.
- Cook until the brisket is fork tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Check the corned beef by inserting a fork in the meat. If it goes in easily, it’s ready; if it meets with resistance, continue baking. Once the corned beef is fork-tender, remove it from the oven. Uncover and allow it to stand until cool enough to handle.
- Transfer the corned beef to a cutting board. Thinly slice the meat against the grain.
- For the sandwiches: Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the cabbage and toss well. Set aside.
- Spread the mustard on one side of each bread slice (divide evenly). Arrange 4 to 5 slices of the corned beef, and 1/2 cup of the cabbage on top of 4 of the slices. (Cabbage can also be served on the side.) Sandwich with the remaining 4 bread slices.
- Optional: Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Working in two batches, toast 2 of the sandwiches until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Repeat with the remaining butter and 2 sandwiches.
- Slice the sandwiches in half; serve with dill pickle spears and potato chips.
What is the difference between beef brisket and corned beef brisket?
Corned beef brisket has been cured with salt and spices for several days. At this stage, it is not fully cooked and needs to be roasted or braised for several hours. Ordinary beef brisket has not been cured. Be sure to use corned beef brisket for this recipe.
What can I use instead of marbled rye bread?
If you can’t find marbled rye bread (a bread that mixes rye bread with grains), you can use rye bread with grains or rye bread with grains.