Important things to know before using nail polish


Nowadays, every girl loves to have cute painted nails because they make look beautiful and sometimes classy. Nail paint adds a unique and special charm to the looks of some girls, that is why the manicure business has blown up in those recent 5 to 10 years. But experts suggest that the manicures and pedicures are not as safe as we think they are because some nail polishes are toxic as the Pollution Prevention Branch of the California EPA suggests.

A Med India report sais, “The chemicals in nail polish pose health risks that vary from reproductive problems to cancer,”.



Toluene is used to keep the ingredients forming the polish together and it is a toxic compound because it can also be found in gasoline and being exposed to this compound can damage the nervous and reproductive systems. Toluene can cause minor health issues like eye and, or throat irritation, and headache


This is the compound that is mostly used for manicure and pedicure tools’ disinfection. Several exposures to this chemical compound can lead to multiple cancers.

Dibutyl phthalate

This one is used to keep the nail polish together and to prevent it from cracking which is good for better polishing results. However, this chemical product is banned in some European countries because it damages reproductive organs. Frequent users are putting their reproductive organs in harm’s way without them knowing anything


Here are a few tips for you to keep in mind to minimize exposure to dangerous chemicals.

1. Choose non-toxic polishes

Try to check out the polishes before buying them. Always buy non-toxic polishes.

2. Choose a safe salon

Before going into any salon, make sure to ask for its reputation, ask the employees for what type of polishes they use and do your research before going to salons because they can be the main exposers to the dangerous chemicals.

3. Leave your nails polish-free at least a few days per month

To reduce exposure to dangerous chemicals, leave your nails polish-free for at least a week every month to let them breathe for a few days.