Instant Pot White Chicken Chili Recipe is a hearty one-pot meal full of healthy protein. Made with beans, tomatoes and tender chicken, this chili is second to none in any Blue Ribbon Chili Cook-Off!
This recipe will stand up to any chili cook-off. This chili will stand up to any chili sauce cooking contest.
Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe
This white chicken chili is one of my family’s favorite weekend dinners. It’s made in the stables at the grocery store, we almost always have it on hand, and it’s bursting with flavor. What’s even better is that the Instant Pot does all the work for you, so this dinner idea is perfect for busy nights when you don’t want to spend time standing in front of the stove.
Cream cheese and sour cream make this chili rich and creamy, while tomatoes and green chiles add the perfect amount of spice. This white chicken chili is made with mild curd and green chilies, making it kid-friendly. But if you like spicy food, try Ro-tel for a spicy twist.
What you need.
Here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need to make this simple white chicken chili. For specific quantities, scroll down to the recipe card.
- Olive oil.
- Onions. Either white or yellow onions can be used.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic.
- Rotel tomatoes and green peppers. We like to keep it mild so that children can enjoy it too. If you want spicy, hot or spicy can also be delicious.
- Pinto beans. Rinse and drain.
- Canellini beans, rinsed and drained.
- Diced green chilies. Do not drain.
- Chicken broth. Vegetable broth may be used.
- Seasoning. Red pepper, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper.
- Chicken Breasts Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Boneless thighs may also be used.
- Cream cheese. Makes it soft. If you forget to heat it on the counter, simply remove the foil and microwave for 30 seconds. The softer it is, the faster it will melt in the chili.
- Sour cream. Optional, but we like it to make the chili more delicate.
Can I use taco seasoning?
You can use homemade taco seasoning or your favorite blend of store-bought seasoning instead of the seasonings listed above.
You can substitute 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning for the other seasonings listed in the recipe. In this case, taste before eating and add a little more salt.
How to Make Instant Pot White Cut Chicken Chili
Now, are you ready to make the best white chopped chicken chili ever? It’s easy – just follow these instructions. Here’s how.
- Sauté the onions. Set the electric kettle to the sauté setting. Sauté the onions in olive oil until transparent. Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and peppers: can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes (undrained) and diced green chilies.
- Add the pinto beans and canned beans. We prefer to drain and rinse the canned beans, but this is a personal preference.
- Add seasonings. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Stir well.
- Place chicken on top. Gently press down on chicken broth and bean mixture. If the chicken sticks to the bottom of the rice cooker, it will cause burns.
- Cooking. Seal the pressure cooker with the lid. Select “Manual” (or “Pressure Cooker” button) and
- and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes (it takes about 10 minutes for the pot to reach pressure before the cooking process begins).
- Defrost naturally. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to thaw naturally for 15 minutes. This means that the Instant Pot should not be touched for 15 minutes after the Instant Pot indicates that cooking is over.
- Ventilate. Then turn the steam release knob to vent to release any remaining pressure and open the lid.
- Open the lid.
- Shred the chicken for extra creaminess. Using two forks, shred the chicken, add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir until combined.
- To serve. Place in a serving bowl and top with toppings.
Ideas for change
Want to customize white chicken chili? One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is to change up the vegetables, beans and seasonings. Here are some ideas.
- Corn: canned corn, drained
- Black beans: rinsed and drained
- Chickpeas. Wash and drain
- Chili beans If using chili beans, do not drain as this will retain the flavor of the peppers.
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Harrapino cubes. Add them together while the onions are roasting.
- Red peppers. Dice and add them with the onions.
What’s another great thing about our chili recipe? It’s all about the toppings! Our favorite ways to eat white chicken chili include
- Avocado/guacamole Used as a topping
- Shredded cheese. Cheeses like cheddar or Monterey Jack go well with this recipe.
- Fresh Lime: A slice of lime will make it even spicier.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream is a must.
- Harapino: Harapino: Fresh or marinated Harapino adds spice.
- Crumbles. Tortilla chips or Fritos are delicious on top of chili and add an interesting crunch.
How to store and reheat leftover chili
We love leftover chili because it tastes almost as good the second time around.
- Refrigerate Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days and reheat in the microwave.
- Refrigerated white chicken chili freezes surprisingly well. Just be sure to freeze in a freezer-friendly container and remove all excess air. I like to use freezer-friendly Ziploc bags that freeze flat to save space in the freezer.
- Reheat. Place the desired amount in an appropriately sized pot and heat on the stove over medium-low heat until it reaches the desired temperature. Alternatively, you can heat one serving of the mixture at a time in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring halfway through.
This easy-to-make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is simple to make, but absolutely bursting with flavor! This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is simple to make. It’s perfect for an easy weekend night out. This dish is simple to make, but tastes great. Serve with cornbread for an easy weeknight dinner recipe that the whole family can enjoy.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Additional Time : 15 minutes
- Total Time : 50 minutes
This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is a hearty, one pot meal that pleases everyone. Full of healthy beans, tomatoes and tender chicken, this chili can hold its own against any blue ribbon chili cookoff!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 oz can) diced green chiles (do not drain)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 oz cream cheese
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Lime
- Sour Cream
- Set your instant pot to the sauté setting. Sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add the can of Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes (do not drain) and diced green chiles. Add the pinto beans and cannellini beans (We like to drain and rinse our canned beans, but that’s a personal preference.)
- Add in the chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika and salt, pepper and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken on top and gently press down to cover with the broth/bean mixture. You don’t want the chicken on the bottom of the instant pot or it can end up giving you the dreaded burn notice.
- Seal the pressure cooker with the lid. Select Manual (or Pressure Cook button depending on your instant pot model) and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. (The pot will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- When the cook time finishes, let the pot sit undisturbed for a 15 minute natural release (meaning do not touch the instant pot for 15 minutes after it says it’s done cooking).
- Then turn the steam release knob to Venting to release any remaining pressure and open the lid. Using two forks to shred the chicken then add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir until all combined.
- Serve with toppings of choice or corn bread or beer bread on the side!
Storing Leftovers: freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container or refridgerate for up to 5 days.
Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving : Calories: 791 Total Fat : 43g Saturated Fat : 17g Trans Fat : 0g Unsaturated Fat : 21g Cholesterol : 166mg Sodium : 1223mg Carbohydrates : 51g Fiber : 12g Sugar : 7g Protein: 55g