Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy chocolate chip cookies made more colorful with red food coloring and filled with all the sweetness of chocolate.
PREP TIME : 20 MINS
COOK TIME : 12 MINS
TOTAL TIME : 32 MINS
- ▢1½ cups (187.5 g) cake flour
- ▢¼ cup (29.5 g) cocoa powder
- ▢1 teaspoon baking soda
- ▢⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ▢¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ▢½ cup (1 stick / 113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ▢1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ▢1 large egg, room temperature
- ▢2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ▢1 teaspoon red food coloring
- ▢2 cups (336 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (3 to 5 minutes).
- Reduce mixing speed and add the egg. Then, add vanilla and food coloring, continuing to mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
- Drop spoonfuls (2-3 tablespoons) of dough onto a baking sheet. Use your hands to roll into equal-sized balls of dough. Add reserved chocolate chips for topping (optional). Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
We found that 1 teaspoon of red food color was plenty for this cookie. Adding more food coloring only makes the cookie darker, not redder. If you want a pure red cookie, omit the cocoa powder and add as much food coloring as desired.
Keyword: Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
Servings: 21 cookies