HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Place the chopped apples into a slow cooker.
- Add the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, water, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, uncover and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth.
- Optional: Pass the apple butter through a fine wire-mesh strainer to catch any remaining larger pieces. This is an optional step but will ensure a smooth and creamy consistency. Discard any of the thicker pulp.
- Cover and cook on low for another 8-10 hours. The apple butter is done when it is dark brown, thicker than apple sauce, and sticks to the back of a spoon.
- Spoon mixture into sealed containers to store in the refrigerator or freezer.