Browned Butter Caramel Cookies are soft cookies with crispy edges, made with browned butter and filled with Heath milk chocolate and English toffee bits.
PREP TIME : 25 MINS
COOK TIME : 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME : 35 MINS
- ▢14 tablespoons (1¾ sticks / 198 g) unsalted butter, divided
- ▢¾ cup (150 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- ▢½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ▢1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ▢2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ▢1 large egg, room temperature
- ▢1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ▢1¾ cups (219 g) all-purpose flour
- ▢½ teaspoon baking soda
- ▢1 bag (8 ounces) Heath Milk Chocolate English Toffee bits, approximately 1½ cups
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining each with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stainless steel skillet (or another light-bottomed pan) over medium-high heat, melt 10 tablespoons of butter, swirling the pan occasionally. The butter will begin to foam, which signals the water in the butter is boiling off – watch closely at this stage. Tiny brown specs of milk solids will begin to appear at the bottom of the pan – constantly stir and scrape these off using a spatula so they don’t stick. As soon as the butter turns chestnut brown and smells nutty, remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the browned butter into a large, heat-safe bowl, making sure to get all the browned bits. Then, add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the bowl, stirring until the butter is completely melted.
- To the browned butter, add dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla. Whisk until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Next, whisk in the egg and egg yolk for 30 seconds, or until there are no lumps. Then, set a timer for 3 minutes before whisking another 30 seconds. Start the 3-minute timer again, whisking for 30 seconds after that. Repeat the 30-seconds on (mixing), 3 minutes off, a total of FOUR times. The dough will be a beautiful dark golden toffee color. (On one of the three minutes ‘off’, you could mix together the flour and baking soda.)
- In a medium bowl, add flour and baking soda. Whisk to combine and add this to the browned butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate and toffee bits, reserving a few for the tops of the cookies, if desired.
- Using a 3 tablespoon scoop, portion cookies and place on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Top with a few reserved chocolate and toffee chips, if adding.
- Bake each sheet of cookies separately for 10-14 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.
Course: Dessert, Snack
Keyword: Browned Butter Toffee Cookies
Servings: 16 cookies