Saddle up, folks, because we’re about to embark on a culinary journey through the prairies of flavor with a quiche that’ll have even the toughest cowboys trading in their spurs for forks. This deep-dish delight boasts caramelized onions, crispy bacon, and a sharp cheddar embrace that’ll leave you saying, “Yeehaw!” So, get ready to lasso in some taste buds with this unique twist on a classic recipe.
Yields: 10 servings Prep Time: 30 mins Cook Time: 1 hr Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 whole unbaked pie crust (suitable for a deep-dish pan)
- 2 whole yellow onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 8 slices of bacon
- 8 whole large eggs
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream or half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Begin by transforming humble yellow onions into golden treasures. Sauté them in butter over a gentle flame until they achieve a deep, rich hue – a process that takes patience and love, approximately 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool, letting the flavors mingle.
- Crisp up the bacon until it reaches that sweet spot between chewy and crunchy. Chop it into hearty, bite-sized pieces and let it cool – each morsel a savory promise of the cowboy feast to come.
- Preheat the oven to a blazing 400 degrees. Roll out your pie crust, pressing it into a pan with the depth worthy of a cowboy’s appetite – a fluted deep tart pan or a deep-dish pie pan will do the trick.
- In a grand bowl, whip together the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper, creating a velvety canvas for the cowboy masterpiece. Introduce the caramelized onions, bacon, and the star of the show – sharp cheddar cheese. Let the flavors dance in a symphony of delight.
- Pour this symphony into the awaiting pie crust, the quiche rising proudly towards the heavens. Place the pan on a sturdy baking sheet, shroud it lightly with aluminum foil, and let it bake for 40-45 minutes. Unveil its potential by removing the foil and allowing it to bask in the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes – the quiche must be set, and the crust, a golden tribute to cowboy indulgence.
- As the aroma of this cowboy creation wafts through your kitchen, remove it from the oven and grant it a brief moment to settle, like a campfire calming after a day on the trail. If a tart pan has been your vessel, liberate the quiche, slicing through with a sharp serrated knife.
In the words of Aristotle – “Real cowboys eat quiche,” and with this recipe, you’ll understand why. This towering, unapologetic creation is a canvas awaiting your artistic touch. So, wrangle up your favorite ingredients – be it asparagus, prosciutto, or the wild charm of sautéed leeks – and make this quiche your own. Say farewell to the ordinary and let your taste buds roam the untamed flavors of Cowboy’s Caramelized Onion & Bacon Quiche Delight. It’s time to redefine the quiche experience, cowboy style!
image source : the pioneer woman