Are you tired of making the same old recipes you’ve been making for years? I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of making chocolate chip cookies and banana bread. Luckily, I’ve found a healthy, delicious and somewhat non-traditional dessert recipe that you’ll definitely want to add to your recipe box.
Vanya from the VJ Cooks blog created a recipe for lemon weetbix slices that are moist, delicious and even pretty healthy. In case you’ve never heard of Weetbix, it’s an extremely high-protein, high-fiber grain popular in Australia and New Zealand. And it turns out that Weetbix are the perfect base for these salivating bars.
Not a fan of lemon? You can easily replace the lemon frosting with a passion fruit frosting. The best part about this recipe is that it only takes 10 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake. So if you need to whip up a homemade dessert in half an hour or less, this recipe is for you.
yield: 24 slices
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
total time: 30 minutes
This super easy baked slice is topped with a delicious lemon icing.
- 185 grams butter, melted (6.5oz)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 Weetbix, crushed
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of coconut
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1 lemon zest and juice (60ml)
- 50 grams of butter, melted (1.7oz)
- Preheat oven to fanbake 180°C.
- Melt butter in a large microwave proof bowl, add sugar and stir together.
- Crush in weetbix, add flour, coconut and baking powder. Mix together.
- Pour into a lined tray and press down firmly.
- Bake for 15 – 20 mins. Until it is cooked through but soft to touch. It will firm up as it cools.
- Icing: Mix together icing sugar, butter, lemon juice and zest. Add boiling water if needed to loosen mixture and whisk out any lumps.
- Ice the slice while it is still warm then chop up once cooled and icing has set.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or in a cool dry place.
- Passionfruit version: swap the lemon in the icing for the pulp of 3 passionfruit.
Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g