This Lemon Rice Krispie Treat has a bright, bold lemon flavor and is even better than the original! This very easy Rice Krispie Treat recipe is sure to become a new favorite.
Lemon Rice Krispy Treats
Rice Krispy Treats are nostalgic and wonderful. Not only is this treat a favorite of children, but it is also one of the first recipes young cooks learn.
This recipe combines the classic flavor of the traditional Rice Krispie Treat recipe with the bright and bold lemon flavor that we love to make this exquisite treat perfect all year round.
When in doubt, try adding lemon. This recipe is a combination of the traditional Rice Krispie Treats recipe.
Rice Krispy Treats Recipe
We are obsessed with Rice Krispy Treats! Here are some of our favorite recipes.
- Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispy Treats Pinwheels
- S’mores Rice Krispy Treats Pinwheels
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Rice Krispy Treats Pinwheels
- Funfetti Rice Krispy Treats Fruit Kabobs
- Cookies & Cream Rice Krispy Treats
- Almond Joy Rice Krispy Treats
Ingredients for Rice Krispy Treats
In addition to the regular Rice Krispy Treats ingredients, this recipe includes a few ingredients that make this RKT even tastier. Let’s take a look at what you will need.
- Mini marshmallows – some to melt and some to add later.
- Salted butter – if using unsalted butter, add 1/2 teaspoon salt (add when you add the lemon juice)
- Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest – About the juice and zest of one lemon makes the lemon juice and zest needed for this recipe, and it smells amazingly lemony.
- Honey – Honey can be substituted for maple syrup or agave syrup (optional).
- Vanilla Essence – This recipe is also a good opportunity to use up the lemon essence. A 50/50 mix of lemon and vanilla is very tasty.
- Rice Krispies Cereal – You will need 6 cups of puffed rice cereal.
- White or Yellow Candy Melts – This is completely optional, but adds a festive finish to this Rice Krispies treat. I used white candy melts, but yellow candy melts would also be perfect for this recipe. I used white candy melts in this recipe, but yellow candy melts work well too. White is good, but pink, red, and green are also recommended.
- Shortening or oil – I use coconut oil or shortening to make the candy melts smoother and help them melt.
Place the Lemon Rice Krispie Treats in a white baking dish.
How to make Lemon Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Measure 1 cup of the mini marshmallows and set aside.
- Add the remaining marshmallows with the butter and stir well until melted.
- Once melted, turn off heat and add lemon juice, honey, and vanilla essence (or lemon essence) and stir to combine.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup marshmallows and cereal. When all is combined, transfer to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and press down lightly on the surface to even out the mixture.
- Place candy melts and shortening or oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue melting every 15 seconds until completely melted.
- Drizzle over rice krispies with a fork or squeeze bag. Sprinkle with lemon zest if desired.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Slice and serve.
Be careful not to let the 1 cup marshmallows you put in with the Rice Krispies cereal melt completely. Doing so will increase the gooey texture of this treat and make it a sweet and tasty bite.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I store these lemon rice granules? Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature or up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
How do I use the candy melts? Candy melts can be difficult to handle. If you heat them slowly in the microwave and stir in between, you should be able to get a good consistency, especially if you add ghee or oil. However, a foolproof method is to use a double boiler, which means you put a little water in a small pot, bring it to a boil, top it with an empty metal or glass bowl, and you will use the heat from the boiling water to melt the candy melts. This method will allow your candy to melt slowly and is much easier to control. If you find that your chocolate gets stuck in the microwave, try using the double boiler method.
Can I use a flavor other than lemon? Yes, you can. Orange and lime work well in this recipe.
To add more lemon flavor, sprinkle additional lemon zest on top of the chocolate bar. Extra lemon zest is completely optional, but often adds extra lemon flavor to your food. If you don’t want the lemon flavor, use sprinkles, or stick to simply using candy melts as a garnish.
More lemon recipes to try
- Lemon Zucchini Cake
- Baked or fried lemon pepper chicken wings
- Lemon Cookies (also known as “Lemon Whippersnaps”)
- Easy Lemon Curd
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Lemon Drop Bars
Lemon Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe for Rice Krispy Treats is a great way to make your own rice krispy treats. This easy Rice Krispy Treats recipe is sure to become a new favorite.
Course : Desserts, Snacks
Culinary Name : American
Keyword : Lemon Rice Krispy Treats, Rice Krispy Treats
Preparation time :10 min.
Cooking time : 5 min.
Serves : 16 Calories : 196 kcal
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows divided
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice ~1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- ½ cup unmelted white or yellow candy melts this makes about ⅓ cup melted candy melts
- 1 tablespoon shortening or coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium low heat, stirring frequently.
- Measure out 1 cup of mini marshmallows and set aside. Add the rest of the marshmallows in with the butter and stir frequently until melted.
- Once melted, take off heat and add in the lemon juice, honey, and vanilla extract (and/or lemon extract) and stir to combine.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup of marshmallows and cereal. Once all combined, transfer it to the 9×13 inch baking pan and press down gently to create an even surface.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the candy melts and shortening or oil for 15 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue to melt in increments of 15 seconds until fully melted.
- Drizzle over the rice krispie treats using a fork or piping bag. Sprinkle with additional lemon zest if desired.
- Let your rice krispies treats cool down in the refrigerator for 1 hour or until set. Slice and serve.
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 119mg | Potassium: 19mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 830IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 3mg