Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese is a creamy cheese mix with a layer of crispy bacon and cheddar cheese between two slices of Texas toast. If you want an appetizer with this, be sure to make the Bacon Jalapeño Poppers.
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese
Jalapeño Poppers. No, it’s a grilled cheese sandwich. I see … It’s a Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese! This sandwich offers the flavor of a popular appetizer and grilled sandwich all in one.
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
Jalapeño peppers : Roast the peppers before mixing them with the cream cheese. Look for white stretch marks on the jalapenos to spice up the sandwich a bit more.
Bacon : Grill the bacon until crispy. Toasting the bacon is a great way to save yourself a lot of trouble. To toast bacon, simply place strips of bacon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 415°F for 18-20 minutes or until desired doneness.
Bread : I use Texas Toast because it is thicker. Go big or go home: …… Either. Wait, you’re making it at home, so tolerate it!
Do jalapenos need to be roasted?
No, jalapenos do not need to be roasted before being mixed with cream cheese. However, we do recommend taking this step. Roasting the peppers gives them a slightly milder flavor. Plus, it can give them a slightly smoky flavor. Need I say more?
Can I use a different kind of bread?
Of course you can. As I mentioned above, I like thick slices of Texas toast. However, you can certainly use your favorite bread. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the bread you use.
Can I make Grilled Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese in an air fryer?
Yes!!! You can also grill jalapenos in an air fryer. To grill peppers in an air fryer, brush them with olive oil (just like you would in an oven). Then place them in a single layer in the basket of the air fryer and bake at 425°F for 7 minutes.
For the grilled cheese, preheat the air fryer to 350° F and line the basket with parchment paper. Prepare the sandwiches according to the following steps. Then air fry for 5 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over and broil for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from air fryer and serve immediately.
Baked Jalapino Popcorn with Grilled Cheese
Preparation time 25 min.
Cooking time 8 min.
Total time 33 min.
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese is a creamy cheese mix layered with crispy bacon and cheddar cheese between two slices of Texas toast.
- 4 medium jalapeños, stems removed, sliced in half, and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup (113 g) mild cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 6 strips bacon, cooked, divided
- 4 slices Texas toast (Or your bread of choice)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush the jalapeños with the olive oil on all sides and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes, or until the skin of the jalapeños begins to char slightly.
- Remove from oven and set aside to to cool slightly.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add cream cheese, garlic salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix until creamy.
- Once the jalapenos are cool enough to handle, roughly chop them and fold them into to the cream cheese mixture.
- Butter one side of one slice of bread. On the opposite side, spread half of the cream cheese mixture. Top the cream cheese mixture with 3 slices of bacon and ½ cup of cheddar cheese. Top with another slice of bread and butter the outside. Repeat these steps with the remaining bread.
- Add the buttered sandwich to a skillet and cook both sides over medium heat until the bread is toasted and the cheese is completely melted (4-5 minutes per side). Serve immediately.
- Course: Dinner, Main Course
- Keyword: Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Servings: 2 sandwiches
- Calories: 981