Don’t forget to have your New year’s Day cabbage for prosperity in the new year! I got this recipe from a friend year’s ago and have been serving it on New Year’s Day ever since. It includes sausage and potatoes and can be used as a main or side dish any time of the year!
This cabbage recipe is seriously delicious. The sausage brings the recipe to a whole new level adding a fabulous smoky flavor. The starch from the potatoes adds great texture. This simple recipe will be a great way to start the new year, but I suggest making it all year. It’s so good!
Prep: 10 Min
Cook: 30 Min
Method: Stove Top
- 2 Tbspbutter
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cwater
- 1large head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 4-6red potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 lbsmoked sausage, sliced
- 1 tspsalt
- 1/2 tsppepper
How to Make Steamed Cabbage With Smoked Sausage & Red Potatoes
- Melt butter in dutch oven; add onions and saute until tender.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into the pot.
- Add sausage slices and potato cubes.
- Then add cabbage wedges.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Cover and steam for 30 min. or until tender.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water if needed to keep from burning.