When it comes to cakes, the possibilities are endless, and each confection has its own charm. However, if you’re a fan of the classic white or yellow birthday cake, then you’re in for a treat with our Cloudlike Vanilla Cake. Unlike the popular red velvet cake, which incorporates food coloring and a touch of cocoa, our white velvet cake relies on the pure essence of vanilla and the richness of buttermilk for its delightful flavor.
What sets this cake apart from many other homemade recipes is its unique mixing method. Rather than keeping dry and wet ingredients separate until the end, we start by creating a crumbly butter-flour mixture. The key here is to beat this mixture with a mixer for a full 2 minutes, a step that distinguishes this cake from the rest.
Once the butter is perfectly integrated, it’s time to introduce the remaining wet ingredients into the batter. The result is a luscious, velvety cake with a delicate crumb and a heavenly aroma.
To start your cake-making adventure, preheat your oven to 335˚F. Using an electric mixer, combine the dry ingredients for the cake in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, mix the egg whites, 3/4 cup of buttermilk, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, and vanilla until well combined.
Now, add the softened butter to the flour mixture until it forms a crumbly texture. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining buttermilk with the remaining vegetable oil. Pour the oil mixture into the flour mixture and mix for a full 2 minutes.
Incorporate the egg white mixture into the batter in three portions, ensuring thorough mixing between each addition. Finally, pour the batter into two greased and lined 8″ cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. For perfectly even cakes, tap the pans onto a cutting board as soon as they come out of the oven. Let them cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the edges and remove them from the pans. Chill for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator before frosting.
Now, let’s dive into the heavenly frosting:
For the Frosting:
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and sugar. Whisk them together and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Pour in the whole milk and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook for another 2 minutes or until the mixture thickens to a pudding-like consistency. Remove it from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Using a clean electric mixer, cream the room-temperature butter for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk mixture, one spoonful at a time, blending well between each addition. Then, add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and a pinch of salt. Whip the mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy.
Now, it’s time to assemble your masterpiece:
- If the cakes have uneven tops, trim them for an even surface. Place one cake layer on a serving dish and spread a generous layer of frosting on top.
- Gently place the other cake layer on top, creating a cake sandwich. Apply a thin layer of frosting all over the cakes to seal in the crumbs.
- Use the remaining frosting to generously cover the top and sides of the cake, creating a beautifully frosted masterpiece.
- When you’re ready to indulge, slice the cake into delectable portions, and if desired, garnish with sprinkles, delicate white chocolate shavings, or fresh berries.
With this Cloudlike Vanilla Cake, you’re set to delight your taste buds and impress your guests with its unique and irresistible flavor. Enjoy the sweet journey of baking and savoring this remarkable creation!
image source : 99 easy recipes