I quit introducing Cara as my wicked step-daughter after she prepared this Runza casserole dish and shared the recipe with me!
This Runza casserole is amazing. The crescent dough that sandwiches in the casserole on the top and bottom is slightly buttery and sweet. A nice contrast with the savory meat and cabbage mixture. It may seem like a lot of onions, but they cook down and lend such a nice flavor. We went heavy on the pepper when seasoning the ground meat and cabbage and liked the final result. What makes this special, though, is the pound of grated ooey gooey cheese. A quick and easy casserole!
Prep: 20 Min
Cook: 40 Min
- 2 lbhamburger
- 2finely chopped onions
- 4 cfresh chopped cabbage
- ·salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pkgrefrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 lbshredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make Runza Casserole :
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread one tube of crescent rolls into the bottom of a 9x13x2 pan and bake 7 minutes or until brown.
- While that is in the oven, brown the hamburger and onion in a skillet.
***Now is the time to add your choice of a thickener if you would prefer more of a gravy texture***
- Drain the grease from the hamburger and add the cabbage. Let it steam for a few minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Spread the hamburger/cabbage mix into the pan on top of the baked crescent dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the meat mixture.
- Spread the 2nd tube of crescent rolls over the top of the cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, covering with foil the last 10 minutes to soften the crust.