There’s nothing worse than a dry pound cake, and nothing better than a perfectly moist cake! This recipe has a crumble that is to die for, with the purest, most delicious vanilla flavor. I love that there are only five ingredients in this entire recipe.
Use the best quality you can find because it will help you get a perfect, delicious pound cake!
I’ve made many variations of this recipe and found that whole milk is perfect, but if you have a dry cake, there are a few things you can do to remedy that:
Use extra large eggs
Substitute buttermilk for the whole milk.
Make sure your flour is measured correctly.
If you live at a higher altitude, feel free to check out the adaptations in my high altitude baking tips.
How to Measure Flour
To accurately measure flour, take a fork and sift the flour in the bag. Use a spoon and add the flour to the measuring cup (make sure you are using a dry measuring cup). Then use the back of a knife to level the measuring cup.
PREP TIME : 10 MINS
COOK TIME : 1 HR
COOLING TIME : 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME : 1 HR 20 MINS
- ▢2 cups (4 sticks / 454 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ▢3 cups (600 g) granulated sugar
- ▢6 large eggs, room temperature
- ▢4 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ▢⅔ cup (163 g) whole milk
- ▢1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional (I do not add it but readers requested how much to add.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray 3, 8×4-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray, followed by lining each with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure each one has been incorporated before adding the next one.
- If adding vanilla, add it to the batter now.
- Alternating between the flour and milk, add each to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until just combined, making sure not to overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared loaf pans (about 2½ cups of batter per pan). Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans. Strip off the parchment paper and let cool completely on wire racks.
Keyword: Vanilla Pound Cake